Using Python to Twitterbot
PyUnconf, September 2015
@ojahnn on Twitter
September 24, 2013
Horse_ebooks Is Human After All
There's a whole twitterbotting community out there!
The Python of it
- I use tweepy to connect to Twitter.
- I have some favourite corpora that I like to use as data sources. Find some useful tips (German slides) here, starting from p. 22.
- The code for most of my bots is on my GitHub profile.
- Let's have a look at @OMG_Wikipedia...
So... why twitterbot?
- Twitterbots are a nice little exercise for text generation tasks.
- There's only room for 140 characters, but that's enough space to be creative!
- They make me laugh, because even though I know exactly how they work, they still sometimes post unexpected/weird messages.
- Social twitterbotting: I gave a workshop on Twitterbots at the University of Düsseldorf, read about it here (German).
Wow! I wanna twitterbot right away!
- You can use my tutorial (German)!
- Don't forget to tell me about your work, so I can add your bot to my list of favourites.